You can greatly benefit from counseling with a therapist who is specializing in disability issues if ...
- You would like to overcome your struggles in having a chronic illness or a disability (e.g. visual impairment, mobility impairment, learning disorder, etc.).
- You wish to free yourself from feelings of frustrations, disempowerment, isolation, depression, hopelessness, helplessness and more as a result of your physical or intellectual challenges.
- You would like to rise above your social, environmental, physical and psychological barriers.
- You want to uncover your strengths and unique abilities, reach your true potentials and fulfill your dreams.
- You wish to achieve a sense of empowerment, personal satisfaction, self-respect and peace in your life.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." - Mahatma Gandhi
As a person with a physical or learning disability, you may have faced many challenges in your life -- discrimination, prejudice, inaccessibility, and much more. Furthermore, the environmental and social barriers you experience are often the result of lack of understanding, preconceived notions and ideas, stereotypes, negative perception and lack of familiarity among the general public. As a result, you may feel disempowered, frustrated, depressed, hopeless, helpless, isolated, stuck, and/or inadequate. Growing up with messages of cannots, should-nots, do-nots and have-nots, you may find yourself lacking self-confidence and self-esteem. You may be very reluctant going out there to try new things and pushing your limits to fulfill your dreams and potentials.
As a therapist, Quyn can help you gain a deeper understanding of yourself, and accept and appreciate your challenges, strengths, unique abilities and potentials. Quyn can help you become aware of how your challenges are largely a result of sociocultural factors, such as others' discrimination, prejudice and lack of understanding. Moreover, Quyn will guide you in exploring and identifying your inner resources such as your unique qualities and abilities, your external resources, such as your support systems and your open doors of opportunities, and how you may optimize those resources to conquer your challenges and barriers. Every one of us has personal challenges, with or without disability. However, every one of us also has many strengths and talents, albeit hidden or yet to be uncovered. Once you have a better understanding of how you can conquer your barriers, you may feel inspired, confident and determined to rise above those barriers and reach your true potentials and fulfill your life-long dreams and passions.